Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 4 months ago
    I did see something recently that the cleanup may be completed in the next month or two. Probably would have to be some updating of trail markers (I had also heard that many were missing in the vicinity of the mines...) The markers from JPISP and to Stop 7 appear to have been refurbished and maintained sometime late last summer. JP
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 4 months ago
    Main lot is plowed out and trails have been packed down. Microspikes or Stablicers recommended but no need for snowshoes if you are staying on trail. Snow is about 15 inches with deeper drifts and some thin areas as well.
    I saw a trip report from Balsam Mountain in the south central Catskills last weekend and the some photos showed the blazes on the trees to be just above the snow. So figure a snow pack of 4-6 feet. Also Plattekill ski area in the western Catskills reported 92 inches of snow last week. That's Utah like numbers!
    A/O 3/4/10, Minnewaska State Park and adjacent Sam's Point Preserve are currently closed since the recent February snowstorms. Minnewaska is hoping to be open for the weekend but I am skeptical that will happen. I will try to post a reopening date once I am informed. Mohonk Preserve is open.

Word has come from our volunteers in the Catskills:

The Northeast part of the Catskills received 64" (Hunter Mt. is saying 84") last week.  The roads, while open, are only a lane to a lane and a half wide.  None of the parking lots are plowed out, actually behind 6 to 7 foot walls of snow from the plows.  There is really no parking for any of the trail heads.  It might be a good idea to put this on the TC website for this weekend as the weather is supposed to be good.  Also, the snow bowed and broke many trees along the roads.  There is no reason not to think the same is true on and along the trails.  Trail finding may be difficult, if not impossible on many trails.  Exhaustion is a definate possibility of people trying to break trail thru four or more feet of unpacked snow.  I don't know the situation is the Central or Southern Catskills but would imagine it to be close to the same.

how hard is it to obtain it for a full camp (8 people) in the off season (before March 20)? I understand it's "first come first served" but don't want to drive all the way out to Smith Point ranger station from NYC and find out we can't all dune camp. Anybody have any experience wilderness camping in the Otis Pike in winter, and problem obtaining permit for a few people? Thanks.
    Advice circulating on the weekend (Sat., Feb 27) is to stay out of the Catskills. Reports are there were 5 to 7 feet of snow. Many roads unpassable. Lots of downed trees on roads as well as on trails. Parking areas may be inaccessible.
    harriman/bear mt got loads of snow, some trailheads not plowed out yet. snow wet and heavy in many places. lots of blowdowns and snowballs hitting you from the trees. many trails hard to follow since there is snow on trees and rocks. very beautiful!! on Sat 2/27 bear mountain was only cleared parking lot. park police and tiorati station had no power. hazardous wires and trees down near 1777E on the unmarked trail along gray's hill between iona and bear mt inn.
  • Reply to: Meetup/Ride Share   14 years 4 months ago
    Greetings all. I'd like to take a stab at the State Line/Ernest Walter/AT loop from the Marina by Greenwood Lake. I actually got up there last weekend and enjoyed it quite a bit, but I always feel a little more at ease with some company if the hike is over 2 hours. If anyone is interested, let me know. [email protected]

A section is still closed  

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/ringwood-state-park-4