Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago
    There have been a number of cases of bears getting at food in Harriman. Raccoons, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks,... can be an even bigger problem. I use an Ursack and have had a few critters try very hard to get at my food. I have the teeth marks, but my food was safe. Some people sleep with their food, but I do not recommend that.
    Of course, be aware that some streams on the map are seasonal.
    HI, My girlfriend and I are interested in doing a few overnights somewhere in the NJ Pine Barrens. Can someone give me some info about good area to hike and do some backcountry tent camping. I'm not looking for a camp ground with bathrooms and such. I'm more interested in being miles away within the Pines, and not be in trouble or breaking any laws to do so. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 3 months ago

Many roads in No. Jersey  and New York are closed due to this huge rainfall, so access to trail heads could be difficult.  In addition, you may find bridges gone, or the usual crossings under a lot of water.  It will take some time for this water to recede.    

PLEASE, any trail damage/bridges out, trees down, report directly to Trail Conference Office using this form

http://www.nynjtc.org/webform/trail-problem-report

today 3/14 route 17 was closed in sloatsburg and tuxedo. i drove the long way around to reeves meadow and the pine meadow trail was under water (of course). most snow is gone but there are still some snowy or icy places on less traveled trails. going up the stony brook trail i found that BOTH of the kakiat trail bridges are out. the HTS bridge and the other bridges south of HTS on pine meadow and stony brook trails are fine-did not get up to 7hills bridge yet. hopefully rt 17 will reopen monday but call if you are going thru that area to confirm. i will post pics and videos of the very impressive rushing waters later on--if interested send me an email.  susan  [email protected]

• Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    While snakes pose some danger, I'm actually more concern about bears, as snakes tend to retreat when disturbed and only attacke when cornered. But bears attack when spooked or annoyed. Having a couple of dogs barking is a really good way to spook and annoy a bear. Can anybody provide some info on bears in the Harriman-Bear mountain region? (ie: population density, attitude towards hikers and campers, etc) Much appreciated!
    For an answer to your question try calling the Wilderness Visitor Center at 631-281-3010 or 631-687-4765. One of those numbers works year round but I don't remember which one.
  • Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 3 months ago

What's up;

I was wondering what happens to the log books found in some of the shelters. When they fill up, do the trail maintainers take them home to review, send them in to NYNJTC (or other trail organization), or just toss them out. I thought it would be interesting if someone would scan them, and put them up on a website. Maybe even re-type them, if they are mostly legible. This might be something I would be interested in doing, if there is any interest.

Arden

Minnewaska State Park was open this weekend. Great snowshoeing. Has any one strated to thing of f\doing some fund raising to keep Minnewaska open??? I am not talking obout taxes.
  • Reply to: Welcome to the Viewpoint Forum   14 years 3 months ago
    Question is valid. Anyone willing to work on such a list is welcome and we might help. I would take it as an opportunity to generate some advertising revenue.