Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 4 months ago
    hi does anyone know if the trail throught the ford waste site is reopened in ringwood yet? jeff [email protected]
    yes,thats a great spot to catch the trail,either towards jefferson or the watershed (permit needed), contact the office on echo lk rd on weekdays.theres a large portion of the highlands trail(section hikes) in a book that came out called hiking in the highlands.its a great help to use with this trail. any questions about the area,let me know,im local. [email protected] dorothy, are you from that area as well? have you hiked it into jefferson? jeff (highland lakes)
    A beautiful hike. I did the same route but only from Englewood Boat Basin. I was calculating that alone to be about 18 miles. Add the extra to the GW about 4 miles round trip. The climb up the Palisades overshoots the Stateline lookout by about 3/4 of a mile and the climb up itself is about a half mile. Took me about 9 hours in warm weather. That was by myself and a little jogging thrown in. With a group and short daylight you've got to get going early. The stairs themselves can be a little daunting if you've got a little vertigo. Bring walking sticks or grab something trailside. I've never been there winter but I would not attempt the stairs with any kind of snow cover and I'm not to keen on icy either. I know us seasoned hikers are a hike any where any time mentality but the stairs can be a little dangerous even in dry weather. If I'm reading your plan right your going north on top and south on the bottom. I definetly recommend it the other way. After climbing the peanut leap trail the lookout is a great midpoint break at the food pavilion.(and an indoor bathroom!). You might want to check if it'll be open considering the new park closures. It is a popular x-country ski spot. Also it is somewhat self supporting with the food stand so maybe it will be spared. You'd also want to get the giant stairs done earlier than later. The variety of terrain and scenery will quick become one of your favorites. Have fun.
  • Reply to: Gear   14 years 4 months ago
    David, Thanks for the wake up call for us to be careful. I do a lot of lone hiking including winter. We can get a little to comfortable in thinking we're not too far away from emergency aid. I also carry extra socks in case they get wet. In winter I always stay on a well marked blazed trail. If you start bushwacking in the snow there's no telling what your stepping into and finding a lost hiker of course is easier. Good hiking, Jeff Roggenburg
    Check out the Rails to Trails Conservancy at www.railstotrails.org. They work to convert abandoned rail lines to hiking/biking trails. The trail through Tallman is a nice one. They are usualy level and nicley surfaced with packed grit material or even paved. Many go through nice wooded areas.
    SBM
    Count on slushiness on shaded parts to nearly snowless on exposed southern exposures also the SBM trail is rocky almost end to end, so I would go microspike or screw shoes rather than snow shoes. I think the views are good, but you are looking down on Rockland county developments. The shelters are in generally poor condition, trash, etc. leaky roofs, and there are ATVs in the park and some people who let their dogs run off leash (generally less of a problem away from main parking areas which most of the SBM is). Other than that its great! Have a blast! If you end at Bear Mt, you can get hot chocolate and popcorn at the carousel!
    I'm planning to lead a small group of intermed/advanced backpackers on an overnight trip through the Suffern-Bear Mnt traverse this weekend. If anyone has done sections of this trail or the entire 23.5 miles over the winter before, I'd appreciate your comments. Was the scenery worth it? With all the recent snow, I'm thinking snowshoes and Microspikes may be necessary. Thanks for any pointers or insights!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I found something at K-mart that should work well. It's a small, aluminum pot, with a lid, that holds 4 cups. Lid and pot together weigh about 4.5 ounces.
    Try a small frying pan or small saute pan with a lid.
    Later this year I hope to do a long, solo hike. I'm looking for a pot to cook in. I'd like something that is large enough to cook up the Lipton/Knorrs meals but not much bigger. Now here's the kicker, I'm looking for a pot that's noticeably wider than it is high, because wider pots seem to heat faster on my stove. Any suggestions?