Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 3 months ago
    Paul, My sons and I did a quick shakedown hike of the Arden Park/Glenclyffe trail in Garrison yesterday. They were in pretty good shape with the exception of some pretty good sized mud patches thanks to the CSX trucks. Im guessing the trails up around Cold Spring are about the same. Hope this helps...
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago
    Hi, this may seem like a tough question to answer, but maybe someone knows the answer... I went on a hike in 2001 with my Boy Scout group in the Harriman-Bear mountain area (I know this because I have a cloth map from then as a souvenir a scout master got us all). It was a 2 day hike (hike in, camp overnight, hike out) that was roughly 10 miles altogether. I'd like to try to do a hike like that again with some inexperienced friends but can't remember what trails it was. Here is what I remember... it was a steep climb the first day with a lake to our left for a good few hours. I remember the lake to the left because some wise guy thought it would make the trip shorter if we hugged the lake. Instead we got wet and it took longer... anyway, after some hiking through the woods we came up to an amazing view of (what I think) was NYC in the distance. We were on a big rocky mountainside. Then we camped near, I guess, was a shelter nearby. Then we hiked all the way back... that's all I really remember. Anyone who knows of the trail I speak of (or just as good, a trail that may fit my needs of hiking/camping) please speak up. They actually talked me into the trip so now I'm pumped and really want to do it. Thanks ahead of time! -Sarge
    i was wondering if anyone had a copy of the book Harriman Trails a guide and history by William J. Myles they would be willing to part with for a small fee? From what they said to me at Barns & Noble Its out of print....
    If you have the kittatinny guide book I'll make you a trade
    Call up basto ranger station an they will send you a map of the 49 mile batona trail. The pines are terrible in the summer due to ticks an chiggers. Also all camping in the pines requires a permit for like 2$ an when you get the map you will come to find out that the spots for primitive camping are spaced terrible hope this helped
  • Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    "Given time and the number of visitors to Harriman, there no doubt will be a "problem" bear before long."

Especially if people keep leaving food on the trails. I can't count the number of orange peels and candy wrappers i've picked up while hiking. Might be time to step up the efforts to spread Leave No Trace principals...

I'm planning an overnight hike for a boy scout troop in Harriman (about 10 people) and would like to get some recommendations where to hike and camp. We normally hike in on Saturday moring, set up camp and then set out for a day hike. We are planning to stay near a shelter and will need to find water a reasonable distance away. I would appreciate any recommendations that anyone can offer regarding overnight camping sites as well as day hikes that might include some interesting feature that the boys would enjoy seeing or exploring. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Does anyone know why the trail to Stahahe High Peak is not maintained/not blazed? It's a nice area with a great view, and i'm confused as to why it wouldn't be kept maintained. Thanks!

As an optional road walk, use Prices Switch Rd, right near the AT parking lot and Heaven Hill Farm.  See the map that is already posted;  that will bring you in Canal Rd from the north end.  Less road traffic.

Has anyone been on the trails around Cold Spring? What condition are they in? Thanks.