Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 3 months ago
    The reroute is nearly completed, we had to stop for winter snow and rains.  The next planned work trip is April 11 to hopefully complete cutting the trail; then we'll blaze it.   You are invited to take part in this work trip,  please contact me at [email protected].     All helping hands will be greatly appreciated.    We plan to meet at 9:30 a.m.     The beaver dam right now is probably overflowing with all the rains we had, so please use care if you go that way on a hike; but this reroute will be available very soon.    thanks for your interest and for your comments.
    Curious to know if the rerouting of the flooded section of trail next to Buckabear Pond was done? I hiked this section in January 2010, while pond was frozen, and unless I missed the reroute, I had to do some mild bushwacking to continue south on the trail. The crossing of the dam was not too bad but I wonder if it is passable now with all the snow melt and recent rains. Finally, I should mention that I saw an ATV on Buckabear Pond. I think the guy riding it was quite surprised to see a hiker at that time of year. Anyway , a big thanks to the NY/NJ TC and its volunteers for keeping the trails open for folks like me.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago

Saturday May 1, 2010, 10 am Rockland Lake State Park.

Celebrate the beauty of Rockland Lake State Park and enjoy a 3.5 mile walk around the lake. The walk starts at 10 am, rain or shine. There are 150 lakeside picnic tables if you want to make a day of it.

For details of the First Annual Earth Citizens Walk including registration fees see www.earthcitizenwalk.org. All proceeds go to benefit UNICEF

• Reply to: Hiking with Dogs   14 years 3 months ago
    I've been lucky enough to have seen bears in Harriman about 10 times in the last 4 years and every time they always behaved like "non problem" bears. In other words, they turned tail and ran away. I did hear that a mother with 4 cubs was relocated out of Harriman, but that was because they were making trips "into town". I can't provide any verification on this. I have also heard that one hiking club has come across bears which freightened them - possibly an over reaction or likely the bears were confused by large groups of hikers and just needed some time to assess the danger (to themselves) and find an escape. Their natural reaction is to avoid the scary humans. Do take precautions. Given time and the number of visitors to Harriman, there no doubt will be a "problem" bear before long.

The Black Creek Bridge has now been repaired - the trail is open again between Route 94 and Canal Road - Thank you to Sandy Parr and his N. Jersey Trail Crew!

LarryWheelock - N.Y. West Hudson Reg. Rep

RE: The AT in NJ between Route 94 and Canal Road in Vernon

The bridge across a tributary of Black Creek was dislodged by the recent flooding. The bridge is unsafe to use. Unless you want to wade in the waist deep stream you should take the long route on route 94 to Maple Grange Road and back up Canal Road (or in reverse for north bound), to by-pass the area until the bridge can be repaired. 

AT in Vernon Temporary Roadwalk Bypass

I was on the white trail on Taurus yesterday. There are three or four fallen trees across the trail in the lower section just after the Stony Point trailhead -- including a large one at the very beginning. There is also some serious erosion of the footpath in that area. Once you get to the quarry, the rest of the trail is clear.
    Most trails were clear, but I did find 10 to 12 inches of snow in some areas.
    I hiked from Harriman train station to Tuxedo train station today, and all of the trails i was on (Sapphire, Appalachian, Lichen, R-D were all in good condition, with only occasional muddy/swampy spots, and a couple of tricky (but easy) water crossings. A few scattered blowdowns, but nothing impassable. Unless it's your first time out, you should have no problem on any of these trails at this point. To everyone heading out this weekend- enjoy!
    can anyone please tell me how the snow coverage is on the catskills trails, considering the recent rain and present warm weather. i would like to do a ski tour on the hunter mountain hiking trails, but i have no idea wheather there is still snow or is it a mud fest?
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 3 months ago

Maybe this website will help you http://www.njpinelandsanddownjersey.com/open/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=11&MMN_position=36:3

I'm sure you can link to more stuff from that.   Happy hiking (& camping)