Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 2 months ago

See the news item here.

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 2 months ago

The hike description is primarily for doing the hike from the Castle Rock Unique area parking lot. The only comments about doing it from the train station are in the Train instructions. The instructions there are insufficient for finding your way up to the hike described. You really need to have Map 101 and follow it. The hike description page also has some alternate instructions for doing the hike from the parking lot with fewer turns. Looking at the map should make this clear.

If you read the description of the following hike, http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/arden-point-and-glenclyffe-garrison-ny you will understand better what happens if you start from the train station.

Bottom line: No matter how good the description, having the right map is always better.  

Ah, that makes sense now. I hiked the Osborn Loop yesterday, starting from Garrison train station. I know now that local trails lead fairly directly from the southeast end of the train station parking lot through Marcia’s Mile to the parking area and the Sugarloaf trail head. It is obvious from the train station parking lot where the trails start and Marcia’s Mile is well marked. However, the way through Marcia’s Mile to the Sugarloaf trail head is not. I had map 101, which gave me and idea of which way I should be going, and, fortunately, the assistance from fellow hikers as I went. Otherwise, I would never have found the trail head. Trailblazers would help because I’m not sure anyone could write a description that would make sense. Nice trails though!
    I spent the day hiking in Beacon Mountain and Fishkill today, and if you're planning on hiking the Fishkill Ridge trail, be warned that there is a major tree blockage. If you're headed north on the trail from the Wilkinson, the blockage is about 100 meters from the "top", before the trail makes the sharp left. The only way i could get past it was by climbing over it. I will submit a report and photos to the conference, and hopefully they can have a chainsaw crew get up there soon. Sorry, i don't know how to upload an image here, but i put one up on the Facebook group.
    I do believe what Daniel meant was that you would go back to the fork in the road that you just drove past getting to the parking lot with your car. The trail from the train station is a separate trail, the train station parking is not the same parking lot as the trail head parking. Andy
    Thanks, but I have seen this hike description. It's what I find confusing. It first states that trail leads from southern end of parking lot to trailhead, but then states you need to retrace your steps along the road. Which road? What steps am I retracing? Not helpful!

This might help you, it was a previous hike of the week.   If not, please email [email protected] and I'll find someone who is familiar.  

http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/east-hudson-highlands-5

I plan to hike the trails around Garrison tomorrow, but I'm confused by the description of the trailhead location. Can I pick it up at southern end of train station parking lot or do I need to take the road? If the road, which ones? Thanks for any help.

The Causeway and Lower Awosting Carriageway work have been completed and are open again. L. Wheelock 06/02/2010

I hiked Minnewska this weekend. The causeway construction that was supposed to be completed by March is still not done. This blocks access for the LP from Rainbow Falls to Jenny Lane. We saw a ranger who said the work should be done in the next couple of weeks.

• Reply to: General and Off Topic   14 years 2 months ago
    I have never had a problem in that area. If you are only doing Sugarloaf you may want to park on Dale Lane. The state has a parking area at the Th for Sugarloaf Mountain, also you can do a loop hike over Sugarloaf from that parking lot. Andy