Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 2 months ago
    Are you allowed to set up camp and fires off the marked trails? Or are there specific shelters and marked locations? Is all this in the trail maps?
    If you want to be off the marked trails you may want to check out the east branch of the Neversink River in the Slide Mountain Wilderness area. Catskill map 143 in the new Catskill map set, map 43 in the older map sets. Yes fires are permitted, you will find all the regulations for that area on the back of the map. Andy
    Hello all, I am about to purchase the Harriman and Catskils mapset, and was wondering if there was any other trails that I should consider. I'm from new jersey, but from what I've read that wouldn't be the best option for backcountry hiking?. Can anyone recommend some backcountry trails with the option of fishing? I've never gone backcounrty on the east coast so I'm not sure exactly what to expect, or how much different it would be from the west. (I'm wondering about fires?) Would it be possible to actually catch and eat fish? I was looking at the prices for fishing licenses in NY, and they weren't bad so if anyone knows any more information I would appreciate it.
    If you have the Harriman/Bear Mountain Map set, you could hike the entire Suffern-Bear Mountain Trail. Metro-North goes to Manitou (but only on weekends and holidays), and NJT stops at Suffern. There are 2 shelters along the trail, and the southern one has a flat open area behind it that you could easily set up a tent if that's what you want. I haven't been on the northern part of the trail yet, but in a few weeks i plan on hiking the entire thing in one day, so if you're still looking for info at that point, i'll let you know what i find. I don't know if you are allowed to camp on the trail other than at the shelter areas.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 2 months ago
    I don't think the problem is with most of the people hiking. It's the "other" people who decide to use the shelters/trails as their party zone that cause the problem. How to enforce the LNT principals is a tough question, one for which i don't have an answer. But i agree with you, it's only a matter of time before we're going to have a bad incident involving a bear. I was hoping to never need to carry bear spray for simple hikes in Harriman; unfortunately if this continues, it may become a necessity.
    I've done extensive hiking in Harriman State Park for the past ten years and often stay overnight. I'm becoming increasingly worried about the full 30 gallon bags of garbage and empty liquor bottles I'm finding at the lean-to's. I've seen this at the Tom Jones shelter most recently, and other shelters around the park. Of the bear encounters that I've read about in the area, the bear seem to be becoming comfortable with a human presence and often stand their ground or flank hikers who continue along the trail. Bear population in the area has been increasing, areas around the park are densely populated, and if "Leave No Trace" is contunually ignored and the shelters remain baited with garbage then a bad bear encounter is inevitable.
    Let me suggest either Harriman State Park or The Appalachian Trail. You can find details for public transportation at www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car
    I forgot to mention that I am coming from NYC. Thanks, Kara
    Hello, I'd like to try doing an overnight hike in the area, but do not have a car. Can anyone recommend any trails that allow camping and are accessible by public transportation? I'm in good shape and enjoy rock scrambling, but will need a trail that has decent flat areas for camping. Many Thanks, Kara
    Wow
    Huge thanks to Roland for his effort!!!