Recent Posts

• Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 1 month ago
    can someone please explain what these park closings will mean for us hikers? such as anthony wayne--does this mean the parking lots will be blocked off or just not maintained? at this point the south lot has never reopened from its winter closing. is there anything we can do to take care of this ourselves? are rangers being let go? inquiring minds want to know...
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 1 month ago

To get to Teatown from the Croton Harmon RR station, you have to use OCA to reach the dam. Go south on the Briarcliff Peekskill Trail BPT)which brings you to Teatown after crossning Blinn Road. You can take the BPT through Teatown and south to Ryder Road. at the southern terminus, walk west downhill to the Ossining RR station.

I would recommend you get a road atlas of Westchester County. Public transportation information the parks in Westchester is listed in Walkable Westchester. When there are long hkes to get to a park, the book says none available.   

majeed-ur-rahman I want to walk to the Tea town lake reservation. I have already walked from Croton Hormon RR station to the croton dam via the aqueduct trail. I don't know the rest of the route; may be via the briarcliff-peekskill trailway? Can anybody guide me? Thanks. majeed rahman.
    I emailed you.
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 1 month ago
    I like the idea of park rangers checking in on some of the shelters, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. A few years ago I spent four days backpacking through the park. I stopped at the Lake Welch Beach area and spoke to a couple of rangers telling them I was going to spend the night at the Big Hill Shelter and they had no idea what I was talking about, or even where the Big Hill Shelter was. Perhaps the trail conference can put some time into placing posts inside the lean-to's about Leave No Trace and the dangers of leaving food and garbage out to attract bear. If not, maybe I'll take the initiative and spend a couple bucks on plastic sleeves and thumbtacks and do it myself.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 2 months ago
    But I am a little confused. For one, I didn't realize catskills was so big. I have no idea where to begin. Another thing is the 'rules'? I saw one of the maps had the rules you just mentioned but not all of them, does that mean it only applies to that part of the catskills? Also the rules don't mention anything about fishing? I assume if you have a permit there is no problem? Is there any information on where there might be some good spots?
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 2 months ago
    I am not a teenager but, not far off. I like to section hike in parts of the AT not usually in Harriman. I agree that theese people need to be dealt with. I am the type that hikes in alone or with a friend. I always have liquor, carried in a platypus blader and if the hike is that short I may bring a few beers. Such was the case the other weekend I hiked in with my cousin, and we brough our assorted "party items". I definately have to say though we packed out far more then our 2 reusable platypuses and the 6 beers we brought. We left with probably three times that in garbage as we knew the hike to the train station wasn't far. You can not blame all of us who come for the weekend and have some fun, at least some of us are responsible.
  • Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 2 months ago
    The rules are on the maps, 150' from water, trails and roads. you won't have to worry about roads. It has been many years since I have gone to that spot. Used to be primitive sites with rock fireplaces as you went up the fisherman path, the red dotted line that crosses the creek several times on its way up. Andy
    I had several bear encounters last season around doodletown. I was at West Mt shelter today and there are bags full of garbage shoved into one of the fireplaces (as well as the leaky roof with the plastic over it) and new fireplaces being built around the shelter. I wish that the park rangers could make a sweep of the shelters on weekends to disuade those less civilized folks.
    This is definitely not good and shows a lack of respect for others as well as the environment. Years ago I ran into the "party shelter" crowd and just set camp as far from them as possible. I'm planning to do some hiking up around West Mountain...have there been any bear sitings in the Northern section of Harriman State Park?