Recent Posts

• Reply to: Hike Recommendations   14 years 1 month ago
    You will need a NY fishing license. The permit for NYC reservoirs is in addition to having the NY license.
    can someone just quickly give me some information about fishing, I can't find a solid yes or no on whether or not I need a permit. I've read that I only need a permit if I fish in the reservoirs, but streams and rivers don't require a permit. Is this accurate?
    I've never actually been in this area before, but the area I am frequently recommended is the junction at the end of denning road. You'll need a map to make the best decision on what is best for your group, but there are a lot of options. There is also a number of parking areas along branch road (or rt 47), that is probably your best bet for a short hike near slide.
    My group and I are leaving Friday evening for catskills, after everyone gets out of work. The problem is we have a nearly three hour drive to our destination (the end of denning road), which will likely mean that we will arrive at dusk if not darker. I told everyone to just bring a good flashlight and that we'd set up camp not too far from the car. We'll also have a fairly full moon with us. I've never actually been in this area though so I have no idea what to expect. Any advice?
    We're trying to find a good place for primitive camping at Slide mounting for memorial day weekend. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks
  • Reply to: Trail Conditions Forum   14 years 1 month ago

Anyone know what's up with this MUA adjacent to the Mohonk Preserve, which is shown with campsites on the 2008 map #105? Is it still open for camping, and if so, is it still "a noisy, garbage filled rat hole with drum circles until 4am"?

That quote comes from this 2008 thread about possible closure: http://gunks.com/ubbthreads7/ubbthreads.php/topics/38299/1

This seems to be the closest thing to any official info online: http://gunksclimbers.org/MUA.shtml

I'm considering heading there for Memorial Day weekend to do day hikes into the preserve, but if it's closed or generally crowded on weekends then I'll make other plans.

The Trail Conference expects that the north lot at Anthony Wayne will remain accessible, though facilities (bathrooms) may be shut. At parks slated for closing where there are no facilities, such as Schunemunk and Wonder Lake, we expect that from a trail users perspective, it will be business as usual. You may want to call ahead and see if you can get a clear answer.

There may be less or no ranger presence than is typical, so now more than ever, hikers and trail volunteers will be the eyes and ears on the ground that will protect our parks. If you spot any illegal activity or other problem, contact the park offices or the Trail Conference. You can find a brochure on our website with contact info--a good thing to print out and carry with you. Click here to find it. Or submit an Illegal Activity Report online.

Report any actual closings back here. Thanks!

majeed-ur-rahman Thanks.
    Am working on getting specifics from park managers. Are hikers allowed in the parks? Are trail maintainers free to maintain and will they be covered by workman's comp? Waiting for answers.

I think its called the Shore trail but I havent been there in a dogs age so I'm not sure